The swirling, tapdancing and backflipping deodorant stick musical that is the mind known as Kinchy!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Makin' Short Waves on the Detroit River

You know me; love short movies, short fuse, hell I even rode the short bus to kindergarten (don't ask). So it was only a matter of time before I got into short wave radio.
I had heard about short wave, or SW as we in the land of nerd call it, on NPR a few years ago. Yes, NPR still exists. They did a story on the Conet Project and it totally flipped me out.
I was driving home at 1:30am in a huge snowstorm, when these crazzzzzyyyy sounds started coming over the radio, and then a stone cold voice reciting numbers, "7,7,7,6,6,9,9". THEN...CRAZY music composed of what had to be a Theremin humping a fax machine. Now, if you've ever driven M-50 through the heart of nowhere Michigan at night, you know how dark and "Deliverance-esque" it can be. I FREAKED! I thought I was gonna be dancin' with the devil quicker than spit!
Turns out, there are these freaky SW signals out there being broadcast from what are called "NUMBERS STATIONS". Check out some recordings. Sound a little "X-Filey" to ya'???
Well, I let my family know that I had an interest in SW and guess who got what for Holiday Gift Season??? Thanks Dad :)
OH! I almost forgot! I've got tin-foil cone hats for all of you, because...you know...if you don't wear it...that's how THEY get you.